High patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house seems to have the patio rather high. The walls are rendered and the bell mouth at the bottom has a small gap between it and the patio, water seems to get into this area. Would it be ok to seal this gap off so that no water gets in to cause damage.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its sounds more like the patio needs lowering. The bell of the render will probably be at least a few inches above your DPC and if you are getting damp there i'd say the patio is briding your DPC. Do you know what level the dpc is at?

Either way why does water gather there? The patio should fall away from the house.

There is no visible sign of a DPC. There are air vents around the house are lower than the patio and the patio has a bit cut out where the vents are. Someone said there may be a slate DPC or none at all. The house was built 1900.
I wondered if by sealing the bell mouth to the patio it would prevent water getting in between. The patio does run away but not by much.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wondered if by sealing the bell mouth to the patio it would prevent water getting in between. The patio does run away but not by much.

No, thats the worse thing to do. Damp will then creep up the render and wall with all the associated problems.

You need a gap, and if there is a DPC, the render should not bridge it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back