radiator removal problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a radiator that has been pulled out of the wall. As in the metall hooks it hangs on have come out of the wall. So I need to remove the radiator to re-fix the hooks.
It's a fairly old radiator, 60's I'd say.
So I closed off the hand twisted temperature control valve, then I took the cap off the other end and turned the lockshield valve (clockwise) too.
Then I slowly undid the large nut holding the radiator to the pipe (nr the control valve) Water flowed steadily out and I collected about 7 large bowls full. However it seems to be never ending.
When I open up the bleed valve at the top of the radiator it still sprays out of there after 7 bowls have been bled off.

Any idea's where all this water is coming from?
Is it possible my lockshield valve isn't closing properly?
It doesn't go any further clockwise.

Sponsored Links
Certainly sounds like at least one of your valves has not shut off fully.

If you have turned the l/shield off with grips, try the same on the other end, or are you saying this is a trv?

The lockshield V is very unusual. You twist it with a flat screwdriver. Which turns like a piston slowly down the pipe. I'm thinking maybe it's getting crossthreaded or something and only going 1/2 way. It is rather old.

Sponsored Links
if you drain it you may as well fit a new valve on the other end as well, most annoying to refill and find old one leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back