Shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I wonder if you can help.
A client is about to purchase a 12ft x 10ft metal shed and they want me to make the concrete base.

1. how deep should it be
2. i assume i need to lay it on a dpm
3. what mix of sand/cement/hardcore should i use
4. how do i calculate the amounts required in question 3

Many thanks for your time.

Garry

Sponsored Links
I am also laying a shed base of similar dimensions at the moment, 12x12, I have been reliably informed no dpm is needed but the base should of course be above ground level, a mix of about 6 bags of cement -1ton of ballast seems to be the norm, as to overall quantity, I too would like to know?
Regards
Jim

Hi Guys,

1. how deep should it be
2. i assume i need to lay it on a dpm
3. what mix of sand/cement/hardcore should i use
4. how do i calculate the amounts required in question 3

Garry

1. 100mm is normal.

2. i personally don't bother with dpm. besides, a metal shed will have its own moisture producing qualities.

3. 6 ballast to 1 cement, and water of course.

4. at 100mm thick you will require 1.15 m3 of concrete or 2.25 tonnes of
ballast plus 15 bags of dust.

Sponsored Links
i think he is refering to the fact that the thing will be dripping with condensation, so the damp from the floor is the least of your worries.

i think he is refering to the fact that the thing will be dripping with condensation, so the damp from the floor is the least of your worries.

I'd got that, that's what made me laugh, Its the best description I've seen to describe a common problem with them. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back