Single core and earth wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiyall I pulled out a load of 1mm single core and earth from a renovation and don't want to waste it

I presume it is okay to tape two of these together and they become the same as your standard tc&e (except of course you get 2 earths instead of one)

Conveniently some are black and some red that helps

I just thought I'd run this by you boffins cus I'm using these for loads of 20W elv downlights in conjunction with some standard 1mm tc&e and as you know if any downlights are dimmer than any others that spoils the whole effect thanx ppl

Sponsored Links
Can you guarantee it is not imperial? Defo copper? Defo PVC?

The main issue is the fact that we have had to use the new colours of Brown and Blue for a very long time now. Red and Black is no longer allowed.

This is also a very messy type install.

1mm T+E is not exensive.....(ok, it is steeper than it was!).

Are you using this cable for the LV or ELV circuit?

Tape sounds a bad idea - it goes off after time. Cable ties or heatshrink would be better.

Also don't forget to check that the cable is OK before you use it - IR and continuity tests.

Sponsored Links
The main issue is the fact that we have had to use the new colours of Brown and Blue for a very long time now. Red and Black is no longer allowed.
1) It's only preferable for it to be identifiable by colour throughout its length.

2) There's a good case for continuing to use red/black when extending/modifying an existing installation and documenting it as a departure from BS 7671 on the EIC....

Thanks very much ban, matty and lectrician very helpful replies it is double insulated (has the earth in it) I used it on the 240 and 12 circuit (don't worry not more than about a metre on the elv circuit)

Ban-all-sheds your comment on the tape brings me to another point I ran out of earth sleeve so I taped alot of the protruding unused earth cables using yellow insulation tape that should be okay huh?

I think the colour thing is overrated it would take a real thicko to not understand the 4 basic colours and George Bush lives in the US anyway:LOL:

Lectrician I don't know what you mean by imperial :rolleyes: but you know it basically looks the same as 1mm tc&e but is 1 core and earth sounds like it's okay judging by your replies thanks very much lads :D

Thanks very much ban, matty and lectrician very helpful replies it is double insulated (has the earth in it) I used it on the 240 and 12 circuit (don't worry not more than about a metre on the elv circuit)
On the ELV circuit did you use 2 lengths, or did you use the "cpc" core as one of the ELV lives?

Ban-all-sheds your comment on the tape brings me to another point I ran out of earth sleeve so I taped alot of the protruding unused earth cables using yellow insulation tape that should be okay huh?
No.

1) It should be green & yellow.

2) Tape will fall off.

Lectrician I don't know what you mean by imperial

Unfortunately, some of us have worked with it a lot over the years.... :cry:

Imperial sizes existed before metric sizes of cable came in. Before mm², there was in².

It's not always easy to identify Imperial cable. The conductors are comprised of either 1, 3, 7 or 19 strands.

The only thing I can say for certain is that sometimes the strands were tinned which made them silver in colour.

@ OP, I see you have already installed this cable.

Would you replace it with the correct cable if we told you this was wrong, or have you made your mind up to just leave it in place anyway?

No Ban I would never use the uninsulated earth as a live no way :eek: yes you're right about the tape, conveniently I'm going shopping today so I'll get some earth sleeving and replace the tape thanks for the info :D

No Mr UK I don't take offense it does sound abit botched it doesn't look very proffessional but I'm replacing the tape with earth sleeves and I've actually checked the circuit now and all the bulbs work perfectly no noticable difference at all in intensity so to anyone else in same predicament I would say doubling up single cores is fine if anyone else has differing experience please post

Mr Park I think I've seen that type in old earths but this is deffo single core I measured it it's 1mm

Nah Bill if there was a compelling reason the floorboards are still up I'm replacing the tape with earth sleeving anyway plus what is OP? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back