What should I use to fill repair brick and wood holes patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a hole which is outside in the corner of the patio and has come though inside and rotted part the skirting board.

what I want to know is what would be best for me to use to fill and repair the hole.

Here are picture to show what I mean

Also on another note I also have a hold in the brick work where the pipe come though, what would be best to fill this?

Sponsored Links
i would recommend expanding foam, available from all diy stores costs a couple of quid. as its name suggests it expands to fill holes, so dont over fill but get a good amount in. when dry use a sharp knife to trim, it can also be sanded and painted over.

it's good stuff, but it is incredibly sticky. it will stick to the wall, the floor, your hands, your fingernails, your shoes, your clothes, your hair and your eyeballs :eek:

have several pairs of disposable gloves so you can change them as soon as they get sticky. wear clothes that you can throw away later

It also swells and bulges and drips out as soon as you turn your back, and sticks to whatever it falls on

clean out all dust from the hole before you start, and squirt water into it (1) to wash out remaining dust (2) to make the bricks damp which causes the foam to expand and set faster.

Mask off all round the hole, and the floor/paving beneath, a bigger area than you consider necessary

once you have used it you will understand what i mean.

Sponsored Links
Fill the exterior holes with sand and cement - can be bought as mortar mix or quick setting so you only have to add water.

Scrap away rotten skirting and treat with wet rot wood hardener then fill with a two part filler and sand to shape.

Thin gaps around window / door frames can be filled using an exterior grade sealant in a colour of your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back