DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Anaglypta - Cover it up without removing it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spadez

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Hi!

Im moving into student rental accommodation in September. I saw the room today and its not bad, but the Anaglypta wallpaper looks terrible. He has given me permission to paint the room but not remove the wallpaper.

I know that painting it a matt colour will make it less noticeable, but are there paints that will cover up the pattern? The reason its so important to me is that in places he has used plaster or filler of some sort to cover up patches, so there are places where there is no pattern. It just looks crap.

Any suggestions? Also is taking a mouse sander to it to remove some of the pattern a dumb idea?

Thanks!

James
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Spadez";p="987803"]

Quote:
Im moving into student rental accommodation in September. I saw the room today and its not bad, but the Anaglypta wallpaper looks terrible. He has given me permission to paint the room but not remove the wallpaper

It's outdated stuff now but if he said leave it on, there's not much you can do.

Quote:
I know that painting it a matt colour will make it less noticeable, but are there paints that will cover up the pattern? The reason its so important to me is that in places he has used plaster or filler of some sort to cover up patches, so there are places where there is no pattern. It just looks rubbish.

I don't know of any paints that would build up to that thickness. Others might though.

Quote:
Also, is taking a mouse sander to it to remove some of the pattern a dumb idea?

I'm afraid I can't comment on the use of a mouse. I know there are rules about using dumb animals in certain jobs, but I suppose if it was supplied with a dust mask etc, there shouldn't be problem. icon_lol.gif Me, I just use the mouse mainly for sampling cheese in traps icon_rolleyes.gif ...... Anyway if in doubt, contact the RSPCA.

Roughcaster.
 Alert Moderators
mattylad

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Somehow I think that when your landlord said you can paint it but not remove it, he was meaning that you can paint the paper another colour only.
Not ruin whats there, nor make it so that it needs replacing.

Perhaps its best to go back to your landlord & discuss exactly what your options are, to fill it in or rub it off will be even worse than removing it.
 Alert Moderators
Spadez

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

He didnt mind me painting over it with a thick paint. The problem he had is that he thinks some of the plaster under the paper has started to breakdown, especially by the windows. Hes worried if i peel it off i will have to do a lot of repair work to the wall.

However he doesnt mind me doing what i can to make the pattern more subtle by painting.

I was kinda hoping someone had invented a paint for this purpose?
 Alert Moderators
amyboo

from Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

Student rental accomodation!! Why on earth would you bother making improvements to it, when the landlord is probably fleecing you anyway? Do what most students do - go to your Student's Union poster sale during fresher's week, and buy a ton of posters to cover up any horrid bits... I lived in a house with mould on the walls when I was a student, and that's what we did!
 Alert Moderators
Spadez

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote

I'm living in the "s**g pad", its got to look good icon_wink.gif.

Will thick paint help? Any advice?
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote

no it won't

dark matt paint and some dim light bulbs will help

stick some posters up with blu-tak

The Athena Poster Tennis Girl has let herself go a bit since my day

Alert Moderators
54aardvark

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote

By 'eck JohnD - haven't seen her in years, ageing about as well as me!She covered a soup stain on my wall for a number of years as a student......... ah happy days!

Spadez: I wouldn't risk sanding the anaglypta, in fact I wouldn't agitate it at all if theres the possibility of plaster falling off, you'll just be creating big problems - personally I'd just slap on a coat of some colour I liked and you're half way there. Then (as suggested) low lights, lots of posters, crank up the stereo and your sh*g-pad will be they envy of your mates!

And you'll have more pennies for beer - (meal in a glass, contains all the food groups) so your Mum will be happy that you're eating properly - its a win/win situation!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: