Can I knock this through?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now doing the downstairs bedroom and you will see in the pics that there is 2 window holes which were glazed.

In order to let more light into the living room next door I would like to extend these windows or maybe knock through.

Can you tell me if the lintel is going to be easy to put in and how much it will be to buy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bahco,

First and most important question, is that a loadbearing wall? What's above it (e.g is there another wall/do the 1st floor joists span across it at right-angles?) and is it brk/blk or a timber stud wall?

Hi

It is a brick wall in a bungalow that has a dormer extension on top and its slightly possible that there may be a padstone on it supporting an RSJ.

Will check but I know the ceiling rafters are resting on the wall in question.

In that case don't knock it through.
You have the following loads on the wall !. Self Wt of the UB, weight of the wall above and half the wt of the floor above, and possibly the roof.
You had best get BR approval for this

Sponsored Links
yes it can be done, but as stated previous, lintelling will depend upon the intended span.

if it is greater than 1.8m then an s.e's opinion will be wise.

p.s. Bahco, only just picked up your message. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back