irregular thickness slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When laying indian sandstone with irregular thickness, is it a case of trial/error getting the sand cement base thickness correct or is there any tricks that may help me?I will be putting a ballast sub base first then a dry sand/cement base.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

We put a stone patio down not so long ago - similar to Indian Sandstone in that varying thicknesses accross the stones (some nearly double that of others!). Easiest way we found was to put it down with a wet mix, that way you can add more far easier.

Probably not what you were wanting to here, but with me and my dad doing it, we had the whole job done in two weekends. First was the sub-base (dolomite - took a Saturday to lay and whack down) and the second weekend layed the whole lot - 33sq mtrs worth.

i get conflicting views on wet mix, some say they come loose after several years and others say you get hollows under, but yes i must admit that does seem the easiest way.
was also reading this
http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
under spot bedding.
Interesting to hear some views on both methods

I would say as long as you have enough sticky under it should be OK. Main area that will come loose would be the edges - you need to either point a sloped finish or put some edging blocks in (dad has similar sandstone to yours, been in 10years or so and no problem, but he also bought some cheap 600*300 stones and put them in vertically along the edge - 300 side down - to stop them coming loose. Worked so far!)

Mine has only been down about a month or so, so can't comment! I'm putting brick-built raised beds at the edge of the patio though, so hopefully this should help the edges in future years.

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
I have layed a lot of stone patios, especially yorkstone. These can vary in width from 1in to 6ins and the easiest way is definately on dabs.
The dabs have to be big enough that the slab has to be bashed down into place, this helps to fill the underside of the slab. What really holds the slabs in place is the filling of the joints, none of this brushing in b011acks, it needs to be ram packed. If the jointing is solid the slabs won't move.

As it's a nice day I may even go out the back and take some photos.

full wet bed of mortar, and wet the back of the slabs as you lay them. Anything else is a waste of time

so if wet bed mix, what is the mix ratio and do you use building sand or sharp?
If using the 5 spot, do the corners of each dab need to be wide enough for next slab,, or are each slab on its on dollop so to speak?

i normally lay on a 1:6 mix.
Do NOT use dabs. It will end up with the slabs rocking in time.

If the slabs are a different thickness, use dabs. Use soft sand on the laying mix and sharp for the jointing. Make sure there is enough mix under the slab so that when you bang it down the dabs spread into each other. When the slab is in place make sure all the edges are filled. Force muck under if you need to, this also makes it easier for filling the joints.

Thermo
How long is this 'time', I can't say I've had any problems with using dabs.

Apologies i meant to say spots. Im talking about the little spot in each corner and one in the middle, which are a pants way of laying it imho. The more under there the better!

so i guess id be best starting with the thickest one first, then all others would use the same or less muck? would the mix be as wet as in laying bricks or a bit wetter?

Indian stone is pretty uniform in thickness, just sort out your pattern and lay them as they come. As the stone is not all that thick you can keep the mortar bedding quite thin. I've found that joints of about 1/2in to 3/4in seem to suit Indian slab sizes, less cutting.

when you say solid bed, do you mean put a wet mix of building sand cement under the entire slab rather than a shuvel full in each corner and in the middle?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back