Mixer shower - Check valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting out a new shower room and am in the process of running the pipework. The shower is to be fed hot water from an existing hot water tank and the cold is to be a direct feed from the cold water storage tank. The thermostatic shower mixer appeared to have a form of check valve on both the hot and cold water inlet. I completed the pipework to test stage and for the hot supply and part completed the cold supply but did not connect this to the supply tank. I opened the gate valve to allow the hot water into the system without problem but then noticed that the hot water was back-flowing along the cold supply pipe! I had assumed that the check valve inside the shower mixer would not let this happen so I am a little puzzled.
As both the hot and cold will be at the same pressure when completed will this stop the back flow when the pressures at the mixer valve are equalized ?
Should I fit a supplementary check valve on both supplies :oops:

Sponsored Links
you can try it with the cold connected. but it shouldn't be letting any water backflow at any time even with the cold not connected

Ditto, the hot should not be flowing up the cold. I say your shower's b*ggered, and as it's new you're perfectly entitled to return it for replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I shall contact the seller to see if I can have it replaced.

Sponsored Links
And assuming it has a CE or kite mark the hot shouldn't work if there's no cold.

Should say did you flush the pipework out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back