Rusted Tap Removal

S

Shutpa

Intending to replace the bathroom sink tap with a new tap head and body, I find that the existing body is rusted to the existing tap base which I dont want to remove. Sprayed it with releasing oil a couple of hours ago but am not sure how long this stuff takes to work, or whether it will work at all. I would be grateful for any ideas on how I should go about this task.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the body is stuck to the sink surface?

What do you mean by the tap base?

Do you mean the nut on the spindle has rusted solid?

Do you mean the body is stuck to the sink surface?

What do you mean by the tap base?

Do you mean the nut on the spindle has rusted solid?

Thanks. I just used the terms that were on the packet.

I dont mean that the body is stuck to the surface. It's the bit that screws into this with the actual mechanism for turning the water on and off that is stuck. I have the right size of spanner and have used releasing oil but no luck.

Intending to replace the bathroom sink tap with a new tap head and body, I find that the existing body is rusted to the existing tap base which I dont want to remove. Sprayed it with releasing oil a couple of hours ago but am not sure how long this stuff takes to work, or whether it will work at all. I would be grateful for any ideas on how I should go about this task.

HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
If you are replacing the whole tap why do you need to loosen that?

Just cut the pipe underneath (isolate water first) and undo the backnut and take off from there?

All you can really do there is use as much strength as possible, I done a job not long ago just changing a washer, and they had tried themselves to take it off but failed

All it needs is a hell of a lot of strength, but make sure you hold the tap secure because you will rupture the pipework underneath.

Let me know how it goes

Remember to isolate before you do it though or you will end up with your very own water fountain in your house :)

Not even the slightest movement. If, after isolating the water supply, I cut the top of the thing with a hack-saw, would this make it any easier to remove the threaded bit which is causing the problem?

Cutting anything off the top of the spindle won't make it easier

Looks like you need a new tap altogether if it's seized as much as you say

Isolate the water and remove the tap from the basin, then attempt to release the mechanism, if you start to over forcibly remove the tap mechanism in situ you run the risk of breaking the basin they can get very tight. By the way did you open the tap prior trying to remove the mechanism, if not you have not helped the situation because of the friction between the seat of the valve and the thread of the brass body. Remember when refitting a new mechanism, ensure it is set to the open position before you fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back