RAINWATER IN OIL TANK !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello can anyone help me please - i just bought a new house and realised when we went to take the top of the oil tank to see oil level that the lid was missing and so rain and gubbins have got into the tank !! What is the cheapest to do ? get tank cleaned or new tank ? Any ideas how much either cost approx ?

Sponsored Links
If it was me I'd just pump the water out. The outlet pipe for the oil will be at least 6ins up, so you would need a fair amount of water before it affects your boiler.
A new 1300 litre tank cost me about £280 ten years ago. A pump for use with a electric drill and some plastic pipe, not more then £20.

If. :?: Its got a sludge valve at other end. Drain it from there.

errr. thats assuming its a steel tank. :oops: .not that all steel tanks have them.

wish id never answered this question..........

Sponsored Links
hi there, My tank is a plastic 500 L tank. I will have a look for any sort of outlet pipe. Thanks for advice. :)

The outlet pipe for the oil will be at least 6ins up,

Not many checks done on oiltanks then.

A new 1300 litre tank cost me about £280 ten years ago. .

Quote last week for 1200L steel tank, primed, painted in any colour, and delivered, less than £200. Why have plastic?

LINDSEKI said:
hi there, My tank is a plastic 500 L tank.

That is a very small tank, so small that if it had any oil left in it, the oil company would not be able to make a delivery, as it's a minimum of 500L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back