Installing a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps, I have small problem and I'm looking for a bit of advice..so here goes:

I am looking to change a window in my kitchen but when I took some tiles off the wall, I noticed there is no lintel installed in the wall. There is nothing above the kitchen as it is an extension to a ground floor.
I have been told that if I cut out a hole above the window opening (which is 90cm) about 1.5 metres long and install the lintel by concreting it in and holding it in place by the means of jacks this will solve the problem. There is a fine crack leading from the top of the window opening to the roof (which is flat).

Is this the right way to go or would you suggest anything different?

Thanks very much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi-ya 'bro
wave.gif

You would support the wall above the lintel and not actually support the lintel when you put it in!

Depending on what crazy construction you guys use over there, will determine what support you use to hold the wall up when you chop out for the lintel - it may self support for a while, or it may not be worth messing about supporting a small bit of wall - may be easier to remove it and renew?

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads, thats a great help. What's the best way to hold the wall up above the lintlel? There is about 1 metre between the top of the window and the roof.

Determine if this wall will be relatively self supporting.

The text book way is to put a needle through the wall and use an acrow prop either side of the wall

Alternative ways are to just lean an acrow up to the wall, or use one acrow and a " strongboy ". Or no acrow if you're quick and the wall sound!

Lots of info about this work in the building section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back