How much will l need..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l'm going to be putting some decking down and need to know how much l need, is there any conversion for measuring how many l need so l know how much it will cost. l'm going to be doing the decking 12ft x 12ft and getting the deck boards from B&Q, the size of the boards are (L)2400 x (W)144 x (T)28mm l just need to know how much needed so l can price the job up. If anyone knows that would be a great help, also how much wood l would need to build the frame.

Sponsored Links
2400mm is around 8ft, and 144mm with a gap would give you around 6".
So you need 3 lengths to make a bit 12ft x 1ft. Times that by 12 and you get 36 lengths. Might be a shade under 12ft on the width (11ft 10").

I think :LOL:

Hi,

Might be an idea to shop around for the deck boards too. I put 18' x 10' decking in, and although it seemed expensive I managed to get 18' lengths of decking to save having to put any joins in. However when i looked it actually cost about the same and took less time due to less cuts! Thompsons, Jewsons etc plus local timber merchants! If you could get 12' lengths, then as a rule of thumb, and depending on your spacing, if ou get the wider (6" with gap) boards, you would need 24. Be careful though as some will sell you 5" wide boards!! :rolleyes:

HTH

Dave

Hi,

Might be an idea to shop around for the deck boards too. I put 18' x 10' decking in, and although it seemed expensive I managed to get 18' lengths of decking to save having to put any joins in. However when i looked it actually cost about the same and took less time due to less cuts! Thompsons, Jewsons etc plus local timber merchants! If you could get 12' lengths, then as a rule of thumb, and depending on your spacing, if ou get the wider (6" with gap) boards, you would need 24. Be careful though as some will sell you 5" wide boards!! :rolleyes:

HTH

Dave
Any idea how much the deck boards cost, or does anyone know the cheapest place to go for deckboards.

Sponsored Links
The deckboards for moine (I bought 22 @ 18ft length so could use the same for the sides too) came in at somewhere between £250 and £300 delivered iirc. I had to go through Jewsons as they were the only place that had any in stock at that length! Upto 15' seems to be fine, but beyond that became difficult - but I didn't want any joins in mine, personal preferance!

Best bet would be your local timber yards - there's a one I use here in Sunderland who's always MUCH cheaper that mainstream places like B&Q etc. All the 4*2 and posts came from him, and 10x 5' posts and many 18' 4*2 lengths came in at around £70-80ish delivered, B&Q was about half that again!!

HTH

Dave

Thanks for that info dave , will give the local timberyards a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back