Mixing Bricks & Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if I am able to use an lbc facing brick in a concrete block wall.
I've built a small 2 story extension and on the first lift of blockwork I use a single course of lbc bricks to get to floor joist height. I have already layed the floor, built the second lift and put on the rafters. I am ready for the roof instpection and suddenly realise that I maybe shouldn't have mixed materials.
I live in bedfordshire uk.
Can anyone help as I am currently crapping it. The last thing I want is to be taking half my extension down. :(

Sponsored Links
It's the internal leaf of blockwork, the externl is all faceing brick.

Sponsored Links
They're 3 newton dense concrete blocks by name, but they're not actually cast out of concrete.
They're a standard 3 newton building block, not a thermalite.

No problem.

Potentially a thermal bridge with different materials but as this is concrete and clay, then its minimal - even less of an issue if you are plasterboarding on dabs

In the old days, we would carefully brush some cement slurry on them to to blend them in, and hide them from the clerk of works :rolleyes:

to use a dense clay facing brick on the inner leaf is a bit of a boob.

you will not have to take anything down though.

individually, they may be a cold spot.

collectively, they will not account for much.

glue some insulation to them before dabbing the boards or applying the plaster. ;) :LOL:

If you do get pulled about it and it starts to get a bit involved act innocent and say you phoned bc for advice ,and was told would be no problem, but you dont know who you spoke to of course ;)

Thanks for all the help lads.
If they spot the bricks I'll act dumb, I'm pretty good at that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back