grrrr.. still can't fix my houses water hammer, so what next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water hammer keeps cropping up in the mains feed coldwater system in my house.

It used to effect the downstairs toilet cistern, so I replaced the valve with fluidmaster type. that fixed it for a bit.

Then the upstairs toilet cistern whistled and whined when filling, fixed that with fluid master valve.

Also a big 'thump' when washing machine/ dish washer shuts off durring filling.

( adjusting stop cock helped that a bit )

Now another toilet cistern makes whining/ juddering noise when it fills, and the other one whistles when cold water is turned on anywhere else in the house!

Have I misinterpreted whats happening?

What next? Some type of damper on the cold water mains or new mains stop cock.

The mains pressure in this house is high and the stopcock is only open a quarter turn, it that the cause?

I know lots of questions, but what do you think I should try next?

Sponsored Links
HIgh mains presure can be a cause. Have you had it measured? (Gauge costs about £10)
A pressure reducing valve can be fitted by the stopcock which should stop bonks and clonks.
Loose pipework should be fixed.
You can buy fixed "shock arrestors" but they vary in effectiveness.
If you get something like this added to the pipework
11355.gif

with a small valve in series (ie off a tee off the pipe) you can adjust the valve to alter the damping effect.
The round thing has some air in it which acts like a spring, and the valve controls it like shock absorbers on a car.

I've just been fushing toilets, opening taps etc to check out syptoms.

It seems if there is any water 'draw' from the mains, one toilet cistern valve 'whistles'.

turning on/off cold taps gives a 'clonk' the location being hard to locate.

Flushing on of the other toilets gives a vibration and buzing on filling, ( tone of which can be altered by opening nearby cold taps)

I was starting to think Mains pressure was the culprit and a presure reducing valve was the way to go, but the symptoms are whistling and howling rather than pipe banging!

What is the 'normal range' of mains pressure?

The area around the stopcock is quite confined so I might leave the plumbing to a 'proffesional' ;)

There is no 'normal range'. The water board are only legally obliged to provide one bar however I've seen water pressure vary from 1 to 7 bar in properties less than 3 miles apart where I live.

Hills etc :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The ideal mains pressure is probably between 2 Bar and 3 Bar.

What is needed is low flow resistance rather than a high pressure.

Over 3 Bar increases the chance of having noise problems.

However, most causes of noise are as a result of poorly designed pipework, loose tap jumpers and particularly unclipped pipes.

If you pressure is much over 2 Bar I would suggest you fit a pressure reducing valve set at about 2.2 Bar and then open the stop cock fully.

Tony

How do i check water pressure?

oh its ok I found the thread that explains!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back