30 mA RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am upgrading our current shower to a high power shower. We are limited on the MCB that we can use as our crabtree consumer unit is fairly old, and I could only manage to get a 40 amp MCB. The unit itself has
a 100 mA RCD.

Should I install an additional 30 mA RCD
inline with the cable from the consumer unit to the DP shower switch, or is the
100 mA one sufficient. If so has anyone got any recommmendations on what to use ?

Sponsored Links
You could split the metre tails and use a small shower consumer unit. With a 30mA RCD and whatever rating MCB required.

the tails after the meter are yours so yes you can tee them

the trouble is that unless you fancy doing it live (which i don't reccomend) then the only means of isolation is often the service fuse

technically you are not supposed to pull this but getting the REC/DNO out to do it can be a real pain with the result that many sparkys just get on and pull it

the issue of pulling the service fuse has been argued over many times on this forum but the general consensus seems to be it is not reccomended for a diyer to do it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info

As I'm a DIYer I will not attempt teeing them. I saw somebody get a
massive shock off three phase once, so I am very cautious doing
this sort of stuff.

To go back to my main point, is it necessary to install a seperate 30 mA RCD in the cable going to the shower if there is already a 100 mA RCD in the consumer unit.

If the answer is yes what exactly should I use ?
Should I use one of the shower consumer units,
like the ones advertised in screwfix, with a 30 mA rcd, between the main
consumer unit and the DP switch for the shower ?

Ok

so this is what I'm planning to do:

meter tails------100 mA RCD ------ Consumer Unit (40A MCB) ------ 30 mA RCD ------- DP Switch -------- shower.

I'll only be fitting the 30 mA RCD, DP swicth and shower.

Perhaps the 30 mA RCD is overkill, but it recommended in the
Shower installation notes. I was planning to put this RCD in an enclosure
next to the Consumer unit. I can't get hold of an RCBO for the
particular consumer unit I have, so fitting a 30 mA rcd inline with the
cable going to the DP isolation switch seems the only option.

Any comments on this ?

Why has your board got a 100mA RCD? That should be 30mA as well, unless you've got a TT supply, in which case you should also have a 30mA one for the sockets...

If you're fitting a separate enclosure, why not go the more common route of a "shower CU" - RCD + MCB, connected into the tails. You could then install 10mm² cable on a 50A MCB, and be in a position to fit a larger shower in the future.

Hi

I think it is TT supply. The CU was installed 14 years ago, before we moved into the house. The 100 mA RCD was what was installed
at that time. Are you saying it is non-compliant ?

I did consider fitting a shower CU, and having a splitter and extra tails
installed, but thought this may be more expensive, as I would have to get
a spark out to do this.

Fitting an RCD as described in my previous post, was something I would be happy doing

sclement said:
Hi

I think it is TT supply. The CU was installed 14 years ago, before we moved into the house. The 100 mA RCD was what was installed
at that time. Are you saying it is non-compliant ?
Yup.

You must use a 30mA RCD. Also be careful on your MCB size as it depends on the size of the cable u can use. Using a 50 Amp MCB with 10mm cable would unlikely be compliant with the regulations as correction factors for installation method and length of run would need to be considered. I'd advise 32Amp mcb with 6mm cable, or 40Amp mcb with 10mm cable.
Also if you are on a TT system you would need to check that the rod resistance is less than 1666 ohms or u could be creating a dangerous situation with regards to touch voltage.
With the 100mA rcd u currently have u are only allowed 500 ohms.

i bet his shower has been working for ages, that was originaly posted in October 04

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back