Vauxhall Corsa 1.0i Club Economic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a car that is part of the Economic series, which a 1.0i should be, my corsa is pretty bad on fuel, I get about 30mpg just tootling round roads, which I should get more.

Also when on motorways in 5th gear doing 70mph, it's doing just under 4000rpm now there has seriously got to be something wrong with that :S

I'm sticking it in the auto trader next week anyway after I've gave it a good clean, but I'm just curious to why the revs are so high, anyone else experienced this and done anything to get them down?

Sponsored Links
It's revving high because it's only got 1000cc. It's not really got enough power to go along at 2500-3000 revs at 70 mph and still accelerate when you want to overtake.

Sponsored Links
How would you know it does 100, we have a 70 mph limit in this country ;) You won't be pushing it too hard, it'll probably be happy enough to go along at 70 all day long.

Previous owner told me it goes 100 :rolleyes: ;)

It does go 70 but at high rpgm which is eating the petrol, can't wait to get rid of it, getting a Land Rover 110 2.5TDi and that does about the same mpg lol !

Its a 3 cylinder 1 litre engine, why on earth did you buy it and then expect to to be able to go on the motorway with it?

They also always run a bit rough these engines. My mate had a 3 cylinder car once, it took 40 seconds to get to 60, but that was only because the spark plug had failed and was rusted into the cylinder head :p

A ton with a three cylinder 1.0 litre engine ? That's pretty impressive. Not sure I'd like to try the brakes/handling at that speed. Methinks the speedo is over-reading a tad ?

By way of useful comparison, my 911 pulls around 3,000 revs at 70 mph in 6th gear - Torque peaks around 4,000, so if I need some oomph I have to change down to third or fourth and floor it.

Still returns 25 to the gallon overall average.

A ton with a three cylinder 1.0 litre engine ? That's pretty impressive. Not sure I'd like to try the brakes/handling at that speed. Methinks the speedo is over-reading a tad ?

By way of useful comparison, my 911 pulls around 3,000 revs at 70 mph in 6th gear - Torque peaks around 4,000, so if I need some oomph I have to change down to third or fourth and floor it.

Still returns 25 to the gallon overall average.

What speed, 100mph or 70mph?

The handling and brakes are fine at both, and I don't think the speedo is over-reading because I've done a few long journeys with friend's also in their cars and when comparing speed it's the same. (He has a 1.7TDi Astra Van).

Sponsored Links
Back