Fitting a door into the side of my Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could someone please give me advice.

I want to fit a UVP door into the side wall of my garage.
Would I need to fit a Lintel above the door frame.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
maybe.

is it a single storey garage?

what is the wall thickness?

if single storey are you fitting the door to a gable end or is it a flat roof, or maybe a hipped roof?

Thanks for the reply,

The garage is a single story, the door will not be fitted to the gable end as this is where the main up and over door is fitted.

The door I wish to fit will be fitted to the side of the garage.
I have worked out that once I have fitted the door and frame, there will be a coulpe of rows of bricks above the frame and then there is a wooden beam which is a part of the roofbeams.

Thanks again,
Bendy

there is a proprietary pressed steel angle lintel available and is ideal for your scenario.

Sponsored Links
A lintel is not always nesacery but to be sure I would fit one. The type of lintel Noseall has advised is called an "L" shape lintel, it's cheap, easy to install and ideal for the job.
A upvc door is obviously made from plastic and doesn't have a great deal of load bearing properties so a lintel would a sensible choice. It sounds like the wall plate which supports the roof trusses is loading above the proposed door.
remember to fit the lintel first then cut the door.

In this situation, the weight of two course of bricks is negligible.

But the issue is that if you build on the frame, then next time you have a tiff with the misses (but notes OP's name :confused: ), and slam the door, then the brickwork above will crack.

So either fit a lintel, or put a piece of timber in with a PVCu cover piece. Or have a frame with a fanlight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back