Hot water cylinder - noisy after replacing ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, we just had a flood caused by the plastic ball float splitting in half, in the smaller top part of our hot water cylinder, which fills with cold water (the overflow took away most of the water but didnt quite cope with it all).

Anyway, I replaced the whole brass ball valve with an identical one (the old one was in a terrible state), and fitted a new plastic ball float. I adjusted the position of the float so that it was the same as the original one.

The problem is, now the cylinder makes a noise as though its bubbling or literally boiling the water in the large part of the cylinder at the bottom. Any ideas? I havent touched anything other than the ball valve, certainly not the element or thermostat or anything.

The cylinder has only a few inches clearance between the top and the airing cupboard ceiling, so I cant even look inside and see the water filling level but I am assuming that its not set right due to the position of the ball float, and causing this problem?

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
Is the water in the top tank warm or cold? Did the float split or could it have melted?

Is the water in the top tank warm or cold? Did the float split or could it have melted?

I just had the very same thought! The water was cold at the time I replaced the ball valve but then it would be because the water was constantly flowing in until I isolated the supply. So it didnt occur to me until just now that if the thermostat is faulty, the float could have popped as the water heated in the top tank.

I will check tomorrow when I put it back on...... Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back