Ariston PCB prob. Warranty Wont cover!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. PLease help! I bought a new Ariston MicroGenius Combi in August. Now it wont fire up at all. A plumber checked it and said its the PCB. Fine. BUT ..... when I called Ariston, they sent their 3rd party engineers out who promptly said they woulndt touch it as it is installed in the bathroom and that is illegal. Why>?
Everyone else that has seen it has said its fine where it is. Its boxed in, on an outside wall with a flue going directly outside.
What to do?
How hard is it to change the PCB myself? And where do I get one from?
I have seen some on Ebay ... boxed new ones for £75.
My flat is in E15, Stratford, E.London.
ANyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What model Micro Genus is it?
I've had a look at a couple of different model installation 'siting the appliance' details.
Both say ' Where a room sealed aplliance is installed in a room containing a bath or shower, the appliance and any other electrical switch or appliance control utilising mains electricity, should be situated so that it cannot be touched by a person using the bath or shower, specifically in accordance with current IEE Wiring Regulations '
' The location of the boiler in a room containing a bath or shower should only be considered if there is no alternative '
In other words, if your boiler and electrical supply are boxed in, there should be no problem. Most manufacturers state that the electrical supply to the boiler should be outside of the bathroom.
The info is in the manufacturers instructions.
Personally, I would phone Aristons technical help line for confirmation, then get the third party engineer back to sort out your problem.
01494 539579

When you call Ariston complain that the third party engineer refused to maintain the boiler even though its safely located in a locked compartment which meets the IEE wiring regulations. ( It should really be locked! )

I will usually repair a boiler wherever its located but I give the user a written warning that its not complient. Oddly most owners do get it boxed in and even a few landlords.

The regulations are not that safe as its only a bath or shower that creates the requirement for boxing in. A toilet with wash basin does not even though a hazard could arise if touching the boiler and basin.

Tony

Thanks for all your replies. Ariston tech support said that the unit needs to be completely water=prof sealed. I asked them where one can buy such a box and the had no idea!
I thought about changing the location of the boiler and putting it into the kitchen instead ...another £180 expense, and THEN getting the Ariston people out again. But it will all take too long and the tennants have no heat at all till then!
What to do?

Sponsored Links
If the boiler had failed as a result of excessive humidity in the bathroom then that should not be covered under the warrantee.

Tony

Thats Ariston for you, most manufacturers would fix it and leave a disclaimer/notice aboutc location.

If it is a tenanted accommodation and it was put in in August then you will have a Part P electrical test certificate for the boiler, won't you?

If you have this then you can take up the repair with the installer, with whom your contract exists for the installation.

Furthermore, the Part P certificate will show Ariston that the boiler is not classed in an illegal situation and will have RCD protection etc under the 17th edition wiring regulations.

If you haven't got a Part P cert you are in trouble, if I was the tenant I'd grass you up :LOL:

Ariston tech support said that the unit needs to be completely water=prof sealed.

Download the installation instructions and see if you can find the bit that says that. If not, they're misinforming you.

In the mean time, your paying tenant has neither hot water or heating.. Might I suggest that you get it repaired and then recover the money from Ariston if you prove them wrong.

May I ask just why it was that you chose an Ariston?

More likely the installer "recommended2 it.

In that case as he fitted it in the bathroom then let him sort out the repair at his cost! Or take him to the small claims procedure at the county court!

I do have to say that I would have been comfortable fitting a boiler in a closed and locked compartment on a bathroom but I would have chosen a more user friendly boiler company like Biasi or Heatline if you needed a budget boiler.

Since the installer apparently chose the Ariston the let him fix it!

If you dont get him then the tenants will quite reasonably claim against you for repayment of rent!

Otherwise let Ariston give you a replacement ( free ) pcb for you to get your installer to fit ( if he knows how ! ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back