Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you are all thinking... NOT another post on this subject.
I have read the previous posts on the subject and can someone please post a wiring diagram for (a) wiring to a light circuit and (b) wiring from a shower Isolator switch.
I have already installed one of my fans to the light circuit but I could not see any other way round it and ended up fusing the live feed to both the light and the fan via a 3amp fuse.
I want the other fan to come on when the shower isolator is turned on, which in its self is straight forward, but where does the live come from for the run on?
I have drawn a diagram of what I have already done but I cannot paste it on here
how do you paste diagrams ?

thanks All

Mark[/img]

Sponsored Links
Grant(e) said:
I know what you are all thinking... NOT another post on this subject.
I have read the previous posts on the subject and can someone please post a wiring diagram for (a) wiring to a light circuit and (b) wiring from a shower Isolator switch.
I'll come to (b) in a minute, but regarding (a), if you know how lighting circuits work, and what supplies timed overrun fans need, it should be self evident. If you don't know these things, maybe you should study them before getting too heavily involved in wiring. Have you looked at the diagrams of lighting circuits in the For Reference section? Bought the Which? book?

I have already installed one of my fans to the light circuit but I could not see any other way round it and ended up fusing the live feed to both the light and the fan via a 3amp fuse.
That's the most obvious solution - something like this

Fan_Diagram.jpg

and it works fine - the combined load of light and fan is OK for a 3A fuse. The only drawback is that if the fuse blows you lose the light.

An alternative method is to use a DP light switch, then the fan supply can be separate to the lighting one, and therefore the light is not on the same fuse:

fanwiring.jpg

the added bonus of this method is that if you use a switched FCU you no longer need a fan isolation switch.

I want the other fan to come on when the shower isolator is turned on, which in its self is straight forward, but where does the live come from for the run on?
I want that too, and it is not straightforward because of the problems of cable sizes and fusing down.

To switch the fan as you want means that you have to supply it via the shower pull switch, and as you should really use 10mm² cable from the switch to the FCU (or whatever size cable your shower circuit is - even if it is currently 6mm² you should plan for 10mm², as you might have that in the future). After the FCU 1mm² will be enough.

The problem is that you can't get 2 x 10mm² cables into the terminals of the switch, so you need some sort of junction box. I've seen the photo of the 60A jobbie that TLC sell, and it doesn't look as though it will take two cables into one side, but it is worth checking with TLC. The other option would be to use a Henley block - that will certainly have the capacity, but then you've got the problem of how to prepare the cable ends, as you shouldn't remove the sheath outside of the block, but it's not designed to take sheathed T/E inside it....

If you have a timed overrun fan, the position is further complicated by the fact that you need to sort out two feeds, permanent and switched live, so simply using the shower supply would need two JBs/Henlys, and two FCUs, and it all starts to get a bit messy.

What I plan to do is to have a small box with a DIN rail in it, into which I bring the switched shower supply. On the rail I will have some through terminals with bus-bar interconnections to give me two sets of outgoing 10mm², one for the shower, the other going to the coil of a rail mounted contactor. Also entering the box and first going through a rail mounted fuse carrier will be a 1mm² cable from the lighting circuit (yes, I will label the box accordingly). From the fuse I'll take the permanent live for the fan, and a connection to the contactor terminals to give me the switched live. But this is probably not a solution that many people would want to implement....

1098345610_shower_fan_wiring.jpg

I have drawn a diagram of what I have already done but I cannot paste it on here
how do you paste diagrams ?
You have to turn the drawing into an image file, by scanning if it's on paper, or exporting as an image from whatever drawing tool you used, and then either upload the image to your webspace, if you have any, or upload it to a free image hosting site.

See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86738#86738 for details I posted earlier on.

I'd be interested to see your plan, I'm worried that if you think it's straightforward you might have missed something...

It's a shame the manufacturers have'nt come up with a 45 amp isolator with a built in fcu, so you can take 1.5mm directly from it? This must be a quite a common connundrum?

I bet there must be loads of homes with 1mm hanging out the top of a shower isolator! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
bas in your diagram you are using the black as the switched live and the grey as the neutral

seems kind of perverse to me

one other thing if you use proper din rail earth terminals it will bond the bar and crossbond your earths for you

plugwash said:
bas in your diagram you are using the black as the switched live and the grey as the neutral

seems kind of perverse to me
Mmm. Except that a sleeved black is very common for a switched live.

Join in the debate here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15281

one other thing if you use proper din rail earth terminals it will bond the bar and crossbond your earths for you
Yes, I know, and I bugg^H^H^H^Hmessed up the drawing.

I don't have any 10mm² earth terminals, but I do have 4mm², so the one on the right will be one, which will earth the rail for me. I'll also take an earth from there to the one on the left.

I've updated the drawing accordingly.

I have a an extract fan with timer, 3 connections
1. Blue - Neutral
2. Yellow - Switched live
3. Brown - Permanent live
No earth as its not required (manufacturers statement)

Instructions say to connect to a double pole fused spur
spur has
Supply live
Supply neutral
Load Live
Load neutral
and earth connections

Spur to be taken to pull switch which has
red - live
black - neutral
and an earth

So where I am confused is "what is a switched live?"

Will take blue to black and brown to red connections on fan, spur and pull switch, but where does the yellow go?

I will obviously have to by pass the spur with it and take it to the pull switch, but is the switched live red or black?

Any help greatly appreciated, best regards

I've seen the photo of the 60A jobbie that TLC sell, and it doesn't look as though it will take two cables into one side, but it is worth checking with TLC.

If may not matter now, but they do accept two 10mm2 in each side easily:-

experiment.JPG

hil26 said:
Spur to be taken to pull switch which has
red - live
black - neutral
and an earth
Not unless it's a DP switch it doesn't - if you connect it like that be prepared for a bloody big bang when you first switch it on and short out live and neutral...

Seriously - you display a very worrying lack of understanding of the most basic things, like how a switch works. It's also very worrying that you can't work out that a "switched live", maybe... comes out of a switch?

I don't think you should be doing this job until you've spent some time learning how circuits are wired. The For Reference section has some useful diagrams, links to sites with "Electrics 101" type material, and suggested books.

Pull switch is wired as described
Black - neutral
Red - live
and has an earth

goes to junction box where cable goes to light unit - which has 2 connections

red - live
black - neutral
no earth

Switched live - got confused, and really meant to ask which is best place to take it from, spur, switch or junction box?

thanks for listening

How many terminals does this light switch have? 2 + earth, or 4 + earth? How many twin&earth cables are connected to it?

And what did you mean by Spur to be taken to pull switch given that the switch is already part of the lighting circuit?

hope I can get the picture to show

fan_wiring.jpg

It should show what I have

many thanks

You clearly haven't got the faintest idea about how lighting circuits, and switches, are wired.

You clearly haven't got the faintest idea what a switch even does.

What you propose to do won't work (clue - that black wire at the switch is not a neutral)..

As I said - please read the For Reference topic and learn about these things - it's the only way you can be safe. The problem is that as you know so little, any "connect this to that" instructions risk going wrong, as you won't understand a thing that you're doing.

Dear Ban all sheds

It amazes me that you think it won't work. IT DOES, the only thing I cannot get working is the timer. That switched live I originally enquired about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back