Intermittent hot water problem with Ideal Isar HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an intermittent hot water problem with our Ideal Isar HE24 combi boiler (central heating works fine). It was installed just over a year ago so the warranty has now expired (always the way isn't it?).

Some days, I can take a shower and I get almost instant hot water. However, on another day I have to wait for a couple of mins before I get anything other than cold/luke-warm water. The same goes for water out of the hot tap in the kitchen sink. Having a bath is almost impossible as it will end up luke warm.

The only thing that I can think of that could have caused this was that I had to re-pressurize the boiler. Several months back the pressure dropped to below 1 (I think this was caused by me bleeding the radiators). It now reads just under 2 which should be fine. Could this have caused the problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
WHen the boiler was installed, was the system properly flushed? Dirt in the system WILL stop oit working properly.

Isar fave failure is the diverter valve. If you turn a tap on the and the water doesn't get hot, feel the radiator feed pipe from the boiler (22mm one). If that gets hot it's the DV.

Unless things have changed, Ideals give a two year warranty on their boilers. Therefore, you can contact them for a repair.
One of the main causes of lack of hot water on those boilers is a partially blocked DHW heat exchanger. Having said that, it could be a thermistor fault. Does this problem happen at a particular time of day/night? Do you live in a house split into flats? Possible water pressure problem?

As Chris says, diverter valve fault is common on these.

Sponsored Links
Standard warranty on Isar was/is 12 months extended to 15 months if you registered with them within 30 days.

Those fitted under any scheme eg plumb center A1 etc automatically had a 2 year warranty, although most of the staff at the Ideal call center disputed this :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

WHen the boiler was installed, was the system properly flushed? Dirt in the system WILL stop oit working properly.

Isar fave failure is the diverter valve. If you turn a tap on the and the water doesn't get hot, feel the radiator feed pipe from the boiler (22mm one). If that gets hot it's the DV.

Was it properly flushed? I have no idea as I didn't install it. The plumber was corgi registered so I would hope so..

I'll check the radiator feed pipe next time I don't get any hot water from the tap - thanks for that tip.

It's interesting to hear other peoples comments regarding warranty. I did phone up Ideal and was told straight away that they the boiler only comes with a one year warranty. I might give them another try.

Gasman28: No, the problem is totally random as to when it will occur. We live in a 3-bed semi (not split into flats). Possible water pressure problem? How would I check that?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

As it is an intermittent problem and Ideal dispute the warranty for whatever reason, you need to contact the original installer and ask what warranty was given with the boiler.

Failing that, your cheapest way out is to call Ideal, take out a service contract, approx £140/year I believe, put up with it for another 30 days, then call them out after the 30 day waiting period to repair it ;)

Ideal as said before give a one year warranty for boilers (with occasional 2 years promotional on minis etc).
If the installer is a member of the A1 scheme or one of the other loyalty through PTS, Plumbs and Grahams etc they were given a 2 year warranty. All new build are given a 2 year warranty on boiler only.

Doesnt sound like plate hex as once blocked the problem would be constant. Could be a sticking every now and again diverter valve or water pressure problems in the house.

Always best to buy the Plumb Center EVO version as this comes with a standard 3 year warranty. although again, you may have difficulty in convincing the call center about the warranty and may have to get Plumbs to call them for you.

Other than that it is exactly the same boiler.

Evo only has one year warranty. But I would buy it as the price is a lot cheaper !

All the ones I've fitted had a 3 year guarantee, in writing, unless it has changed recently.

You're not thinking of the Optia are you? That only has a one year warranty.

When you say radiator feed pipe, do you mean the one marked 'CH Flow' on Page 6 here?

http://www.idealboilers.com/docs/pdf/isar_he_manual.pdf

This is already warm (central heating is on at the moment). Should I be doing this check when the central heating is off?

I called up Ideal again today and they said that boilders come with a 1 year warranty unless it's a new build or under a government scheme (housing association etc).

When you say radiator feed pipe, do you mean the one marked 'CH Flow' on Page 6 here?

http://www.idealboilers.com/docs/pdf/isar_he_manual.pdf

This is already warm (central heating is on at the moment). Should I be doing this check when the central heating is off?

I called up Ideal again today and they said that boilders come with a 1 year warranty unless it's a new build or under a government scheme (housing association etc).

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

From cold, turn on hot water, feel 22 mm copper pipe (left hand one) if this starts getting hot your diverter valve is sticking. Could be the valve or actuator head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back