Thermostatic Mixer Shower Hot/Cold orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my previous shower mixer thread I've searched and found a couple of threads on the hot/cold feed orientation on thermo mixers but they hav'nt ended in a definative answer :)

Would I be right in thinking that the side of the mixer bar that contains the 'thermostatic cartridge' is the side that the hot feed will enter into? (It also has the temperature control on this side)

The other side contains the 'ceramic top' according to the manual and has the flow control knob.

If this is the case the I'm going to have to swap feeds under the floor as currently they are (looking straight at the mixer) hot on the left and cold on the right :(

Not a single mention in the manual or anything on the mixer bar to indicate what input is what (same thing mentioned in a previous thread)

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

The following is from Miras webiste for their mixer bars and as far as I know is the same for all Thermostatic Mixer Bars.

Connections
Hot: Left • (side nearest flow control), ½” BSP Male.
Cold: Right • (side nearest temperature control), ½” BSP Male

It may seem weird I now but the temperature is controlled by the amount of cold allowed thru the shower not the amount of hot.

Regards
Rico

Thanks for your time in hunting that out and your time in replying, much appreciated.

Will bolt her up in a while so fingers crossed :)

Cheers

G

No problem,

Anything else just ask and let us know how you get on.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Well she's been bolted up a while now and I get nothing out of her except warmish water. Makes no difference what setting I put the temperature setting onto, I've even clicked it past the safety setting of '38' onto the max of '48' :(

I did have a leaflet with instructions on taking one side off and adjusting the temperature inside but it seems to of gone walkabout!

Anybody have any ideas on how to get this thing upto temp!

Cheers

G

Hi again Godspeed,

First question I need to ask is, what ype of water system are you on ????

Combi / mains cold gravity hot / pumped

Rico

It's a combi boiler. My original thread on fitting the thing is here for reference.

When running the basin hot tap ther seems to be ok pressure. Since my last post i've taken the temperature knob off the right side of the mixer and wound the splined valve to full then replaced the knob but no difference at all in temp.

I've been considering using a service valve as a restrictor on the cold feed to see if this might improve the situation (which i'm sure I will be told is totally the wrong thing to do :) )

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers

G

images

Er, are you sure that the bar isn't on upside down? The shower hose should come out of the bottom. The plumber who did my brother-in-law's house (different city hence why I didn't do it) made this mistake. Took 5 mins to fix!!

Er, are you sure that the bar isn't on upside down? The shower hose should come out of the bottom. The plumber who did my brother-in-law's house (different city hence why I didn't do it) made this mistake. Took 5 mins to fix!!

Nope it's definately on the right way up, shower hose comes out the bottom - you can only put it on one way up otherwise the temperature numbers on the right hand knob are upside down ;)

Going by Rico's second post the hot/cold polarity is correct.

So still open to ideas :confused:

Cheers

G

Only two things left that spring to mind are:

1/. is the valve perfectly level. Don't laugh, mate of mine had this once where even a couple of mm off perfect caused it not to work.

2/. have you checked the inlet (gauze) filters?

Clutching at straws here!

Ok thanks for the ideas......

Anybody shed some light on the use of an service valve as a restrictor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back