Insulation in Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am removing the plaster board ceiling in my hallway - its been artexed to cover cracks and really is a "pigs ear" - 1970 House -

I want to renew the boards and then get it re-skimmed.

Its has fairly deep joists between the two floors, I am also planning on fitting sunken spotlights along the hall length. So some re-wiring will be done (not by me).

I would like to fit insulation between the joist to help with the hallway warmth, what would be your suggestion pls ?

Rock wool type materials, Kingspan solid board type ? -- Any advice would help greatly.

Many thanks to all.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
I was very pleased with the new white insulation I used for the first time this year.It is made from recycled plastic soft drink bottles, and is a not at all scratchy or dusty. It is infinitely more pleasant to use than fibreglass or mineral wool. I think I got mine in the B&Q summer sale. It is fire-suppressant.

If you want to add sound-reduction, get the dense mineral wool bats that you find in slabs (not rolls) in the build materials section. The heavier they are the better they suppress noise.

If the room above your hall is an occupied, heated room then the heat loss through the ceiling would not normally be considered loss from the home, since it just cuts the amount of heating needed upstairs.

BTW you will need hoods over your lamps to prevent them being smothered in insulation and overheating. You can make up a box with plasterboard,or use large terra-cotta flowerpots (this is not a joke) which is fireproof and even has a ventilation hole in the top.

You can buy special smoke hoods for the job if it is a multi-occupancy house or a flat and you need to maintain the fire barrier (which will be breached by cutting the paster ceiling)

Thanks for the reply JohnD,

I will have a look at the product you used.

Cheers

Stoyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back