Soil-stack unfinished?

OJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've always noticed a bad smell in our bathroom, even though any building work finished almost 8 years ago.

I have just climbed along a little loft section of our extension, and around a corner to find that the soil-stack finishes inside the loft - just an open end of grey soil pipe -about 18" above the highest inlet (from the upstairs loo) - surely it should have gone out through the roof, with a cap on it?

Is this breaking regulations, laws, etc - or just shoddy workmanship?

Now that we are putting the house on the market - is there any easy fix, other than extending it up through the roof of the extension?

Sponsored Links
depends on how you foul system is vented - do you have any other stacks/vent pipe on your property?
The stack should not be left in it's current state - the most obvious fix is an AAV (durgo) - this will at least stop sewer gases venting into your roofspace

Thanks for your reply, newboy. I have no other stacks, vents, etc in my property - excuse my ignorance, but an AAV Durgo means nothing to me......

an air admitance valve....alows air into the pipe but not smelly air out...from screwfix or similar

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back