Trim UPVc door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate had a door which I could utilise if I can trim the frame a bit.

Is it possible to trim a UPVC doorframe? How much is plastic and how much is metal frame?

Would a Jigsaw fitted with a metal cutting blade do it????

The current appature is 32.5" - the door in it's frame is 34 7/8" needing approx 2.5" taking off the total width. The door itself is 30"

Sponsored Links
usually you have a lip on the out side of the frame any thing from 5mm to 10mm this is what we call the idiot lip. removable in the case the surveyor is an idiot and measures tight. other than that most doors will have reinforcing through the chamber which is approx 4 mm behind the lip.

so you will have your work cut out to remove 2.5 inch also it would take your hinges closer to the plaster line.

As wms says you can get between 10-20mm on most PVCu frames, 65mm would break in to the re-inforcing chamber and weaken the frame.

So for the sake of a couple of hundered quid I would say get a door made to measure.

Idiot lip. I like that :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back