Potterton Suprima 40 - Locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've got the above boiler and every now and again (but getting more frequent) it fails to ignite and requires a reset.

Now i've searched your forum and found a few simular articles, some of which said you can check some items with a multimeter to try pin point the problem. However i don't know what to check and cannot find an article or guide on what to do first. So can someone please point me in the right direction?

And another concern i have is working on a gas appliance needed to be by a competent person. I'm an electrician without Part P (electrics in houses) so does that make me a competent person to check electrical connectors, change PCB etc or NOT.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly needs new pcb/wiring kit
But could be lots of things,without looking at it ....
Anyone know if its covered under warranty from Potterton on goodwill??

Unfortunately with the Potty Suprema it is not as simple as replacing the PCB as the upgraded (And hopefully more reliable) PCB requires all of the wiring loom in the boiler to be replaced which means opening the combustion chamber..

Not a terrible job, but an overly expensive PCB

From what i've read it's the solder joints on the PCB which fail hence the intermitten problem. So surely a reconditioned one for £40 would fix it albeit not a perminent fix.

Sponsored Links
A company taking faulty PCB like one for Suprima removing bad solder joints cleaning resoldering testing then selling with 6 or 12month guarantee

I know a guy who sells reconditioned computer components.... Rips them out of dead computers, dusts them off and sells them with a six month guarantee.. if it is bust, then he sends them another...

I know, I'm just a cynical old Hector

I suppoese another option is to sign up for a service/maintanence thing and then claim on that after a few months. Thing with that is surely they would know about the problems with this boiler through the volume of incidents and may charge a premium.

why not get a fixed price repair? many companies do it, including the manufacturers of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back