Can anyone recommend me something to use as a hedge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like suggestions to create a hedge thats both attractive and "secure".

just want to keep the kids in our street at bay?

Sponsored Links
how about a hedge?

a fence can be leant over a hedge cant really

read the question breezer!

what sort of height are you after acheiving?

It has to be a Yew Hedge, evergreen, dense, bushy but slow growing, barrier against noise, wind and kids!

Sponsored Links
anf - for a natural (bushy) look it's got to be a mixture of native British species, stuff like Hawthorne, Yew, etc. (also great for wildlife). Trouble with using this lovely stuff is its not very, very fast growing. If the hedge is to be clipped REGULARLY and has to be fast growing then there is only one contender, I'm afraid it's the Devil Himself - Leylandii Hedging. My own favourite for any hedge has to be Pyracanth - evergreen, thorny, flowers, and the birds love the berries; fast growing and happy in poorish soil. The 'elf & safety lot might point-out the danger to the local hoodies of the thorns - but it will be secure.

How to provide a little security whilst the shrubs grow: erect a deer netting fence, fixed to driven-in timber stake posts, interweave the plants through the netting.

Pyracantha, that'll keep the kids away, ouch!! How about Laurel or Copper beech, both reasonably quick growers, but they must be kept in check, and beware, laurel buses produce poisonous berries.

I would recommend Leylandii as a super hedge grows quickly being an evergreen and if cut correctly can make a lovely hedge the only problem is people are lazy when it comes to trimming and so it gets out of hand!
I am about to plant this type of hedging for the same reasons listed but I will be trimming this twice yearly to keep it in excellent condition.
Yew hedging is very good but can leave a rash and itchyness after you trim it.
Beech hedging is also very good but as mentioned above slow growing and in the autumn loses its leaves and so a see through barrier and you`ll have to pick the leaves up.
Pyracantha is in my opinion not a good hedge plant, yes it does grow fast ect but any gardener that has had to cut/trim it will tell you even with a thick pair of gloves on has been spiked by it many times.
hope this helps

You can get non deciduous copper beech. It is relatively fast growing for a hedge (as it prefers to be a tree), however nowhere near as fast as Leylandii. Rather than pyracantha, I'd go for a hawthorn / blackthorn mix, your standard hedge if you like.

I had a lovely Gorse hedge once - keep it trimmed and it looks nice - keeps anything out ( or in ) and you can get some nice double flowered varieties - not just the straggly stuff you see at the roadside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back