What sort of places will cut glass sizes to order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get some glass cut, to some fairly exact dimensions, to fit an old table top. What sort of places should I be looking for that will do this?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I need to get some glass cut, to some fairly exact dimensions, to fit an old table top. What sort of places should I be looking for that will do this?
A glazing company.

Any advice greatly appreciated
My advice is to telephone a glazing company.

you may want to make a cardboard template and take it there (glasier) yourself, pointless posting it as you cant roll up a sheet of glass.

my late father took a card template for an odd shape piece to a glasier, bloke cut it there and then for him.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it'll have to be toughened glass, which of course can't be cut but has to be made to fit.

gizmo - will this bit of glass cover an existing wooden top or will it be the top? Cover glass will not have to be toughened or safety glass as it'll gain support from the wooden top below - a bit of thick 'plate' glass can be cut (& edges ground) locally. Quite a common added detail to furniture tops.

If not safety glass, what happens when someone drops a cup on the table and then one of the shards goes through their wrist, or flicks up into their eye? :eek:

^woody^ - I think I'd be more concerned about the shards of cup 'flying through the air'. My view is that because the glass is supported completely across and under it poses little or no risk of shattering and of lifting and flying around; it's likely only to crack. Never a risk on my 'Old Mum's' LLoyd Loom glass (plate) topped furniture.

Now, an unsupported, shelf like bit of glass, that's a different story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back