DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

BMW MINI-Air lock in radiator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
2slow

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote

My wifes' mini has an airlock in the system,the fan seemed to run loud and long after stopping, I asked her when she last topped the rad up ,she replied"Never have done" icon_cry.gif. Needless to say the top-up container was empty, I undone the valve/screw on the top hose and let out the bubbles and air until it seemed to leak just water,but the problem seems be re-occuring.Anyone know how to bleed the system as I obviously have not got it right?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ch427

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

some are hard to shift,have you re checked the level once the engine has cooled?
a short road run and another bleed may help it but make sure you keep your eye on the temperature gauge
 Alert Moderators
davieboy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote

minis are usually a complete cow to remove an air lock. vacuum filling works every time. a garage job i'm afraid. have you removed the filling plug (10mm allen key) at the n/s/r of engine to fill??
 Alert Moderators
CortinaV8

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote

The mini's have a couple of bleed points, the ones mentioned above and a small 8/0mm bolt towards the front right hand corner of the engine, from what I remember you really need to remove the plastic tray that the injector wiring is attached to in order to get access to this one, careful when you put it back in, if you drop it, it will more than likely end up between the engine block and manifold!!!

Also might be worth checking the bottom corners of the radiators for leaks if it's losing water (common mini failing, metal rad crimped to plastic end tanks)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: