Possible earth problem in cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the socket and switch and wired the cooker back in. Since then I get small tingles from the metal decorative rings round the elements. I have checked and checked that I wired correctly - all the wires are secure - nothing is touching anything else. Is there something I'm missing? Also I have a stainless steel microwave plugged into the socket and have had tingles from the casing of that. Any ideas so I can stop living on takeaways!

Sponsored Links
disconnect cooker immediatly

does the microwave still give you a tingle when plugged in somwhere else?

Surely this post is not for real, but if so, absolutely, turn it all off, get an electrician soonest !

Sponsored Links
This post is for real! I have re-wired houses (admittedly let a sparks connect up - but with no probs) I have spurred off and had the sockets I have rewired work perfectly - I have put new switches and lights in place with no injuries or death! I am au fait with the sixteenth edition (sorry if it has been superceded). The point I was making with the original post is - I rewired wire for wire with a 45 amp box from Screwfix to the original 30 amp circuit. Bearing in mind I have moved the cooker in and out during the process
I don't doubt my wiring, (I can follow colour coding.. "DoH") the original question was - Have I got an earth problem? The microwave is Ok everywhere else which confuses me.
So! Is it the wiring? Is it the cooker? (I hope so, so I can fix it) Is it the microwave? Is it me?
I know nothing about the internal workings of cookers but I am led to believe that there is something in there not right. Should the plate that the earth is connected to, connect to the back plate?

if a metal part which is earthed is live, there is something wrong. get someone who knows what there doin to look at it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back