CANNON PRINTER i250 WAST INK TANK FULL!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our trusty little Cannon Printer i250 flashed repeated lights and in the dialogue box stated, "waste ink tank full, contact your service representaive". It now will not print.

Tried to research what to do, have found no answer, looking inside the machine as much as I can without taking it apart reveals no overflowing ink tank.

Anyone know whether this is fixable and how?

I came across something I read, about possibly "over-riding" this message that the wast tank is full.

We have had the printer about five years but have not printed large quantities only a letter now and then. I checked out the Cannon site FAQ and the recommended action for this wast tank full message is to contact your service representative. A service call would nearly cost as much as a new printer.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
sagleo

Sponsored Links
Try and track down another that takes same carts. I have the i450, same ink as yours, tricky to track down these days but you might have some luck.

Or get a manual and service it yourself

If you buy brand spanking new model, you can always sell your unused ink carts on fleabay, definitely do so if they are Canon originals.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks Deliks for your response. Service manual a good idea, but not for the likes of me unfortunately. I am the worst diy person for fixing anything. Also, thanks for the tip about selling the ink carts. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. sagleo

Sponsored Links
inside the bottom of your printer is a tray with some felt like pads in it, you need to take these out, wash em out, dry them
and refit.

empip, thanks for the link with instructions on restarting. My wife and I tried this procedure a couple of times but no joy resulted. I plan to try it again and will let you know if our printer responds. Thank you for taking the time to respond. sagleo

marshman, thanks for your direction re the ink pad. We found the tray and like you suggested we did manage to get out the ink pad, (with a tweezers), surprisingly we did not find an overflow of ink in the tray or on the pad. Using a tissue we cleaned the tray, which did not have much ink in it at all and washed the little pad.

Reinserted it and were quite hopeful when combined with your suggestion and again following the procedure which empip forwarded to us...alas no joy.

I think my wife and I are ready to quit on this...too taxing for a couple of seniors like us! Whenever we shop around for another we have decided to stay clear of Cannon printers.

However, we wonder if all printers have this waste ink system!

Anyone know of other brands that have this system?

Thanks marshman, wouldn't have thought about cleaning the ink pad without your suggestion. sagleo

Epson C 62 has them. was a messy job ;) after I had cleaned the pads and got the printer back together I'm sure I had to download a little program called ( SSC Service Utility v4.20 ) and use the resetter in this program to reset the printer,
ah just looked at empip link and I see that they used a resetter.

Thanks marshman. My wife and I give up on trying to reset the printer, it just seem to change the situation atall. Needlessto say we are disappointed and are quite "addled" over trying to get it to work again.

Makes me annoyed'though to think it printed really great, never had a problem with it, right size for desk, was very satisfied.

Makes us nervous that no matter what brand we buy from now on it will have a similar design where it will quit after so many printings.

Shame on these manufacturers to design and market a product that we will all be adding to the "household waste sites" creating more throwaways that our land does not need.

Excuse me...everyone...for those opinions. We are just feeling defeated and exasperated. Thanks again for your time and contributions, mashman. Much appreciated.
sagleo

Sponsored Links
Back