fitting felt backed carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am carpeting my new room and have bought a carpet gripper rods to fit it. After looking about on the net for advise on how to fit it I find someone saying if it is a felt backed carpet you don't need to use carpet gripper rods. I was just wondering if this is correct? as my carpet is felt backed and I cant find any other information on this.

If this is correct, can someone please advise on how I should fit the carpet? I will be putting underlay down as well. Is it as simple as sticking the underlay down with double sided tape then doing the same with the carpet on top of the underlay?

Thanks

EDIT: the floor is concrete

Sponsored Links
so I can use the gripper rod for felt backed carpet?

EDIT: We have bought a tape especially for felt backed carpets and I was worried about the edges of the carpet fraying.

Sponsored Links
yes.

When installing felt back carpet with underlay, you have to use gripper around the edge. It is a special gripper tho with pins and a special velcro type tape stuck to the top. However i guess you just have a standard gripper with pins only? Not to worry tho as this will work o.k also.

If your fitting the felt back carpet direct to the floor with NO underlay then you dont use gripper. Instead a velcro type tape around the edge of the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back