240 VOLTS ON NEUTRAL CONECTION OF FAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would cause a boiler to supply 240v down the neutral wire to the fan?
Boiler was fan flued old g/w space saver, 240v down live and also down neutral (neutral to earth 240v - live to earth 240v)
Any help would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
are you testing with fan running across earth and neutral.
you should be testing for resistance with power off.

Sponsored Links
A neutral fault!

correct, infact no neutral connected, ie its not connected some where further down the line.

so with this particular boiler, after all external controls are calling, the fan is the first thing to operate, (pump external) so the fault lies wth the external contols then? An electrition was used to check the house and he says there are no faults with the house wiring? Could it simply be a wire in the external control wiring centre? (some thing to note - i only found out today that this same electrition has re-wired the heating adding new time clock!)

i slipped up and changed the fan because was getting 240v at live to earth and fan not running!! Only checked neutrel after new fan fitted and realised 240v at neutral!!!...

Does pump run? yes? trace fan neautral wire back to pcb. No? check whole supply to boiler.

Reverse polarity

A 'broken' neutral

You havent got a Towerchron timer per chance?

Dave

I know it could be anywhere but I usually find it is a neutral loose in the programmer.

are you testing with fan running across earth and neutral.
you should be testing for resistance with power off.

Yes fair enough, but that does't explain 240v down the neutral to earth?
And, 240v down the live to earth, yet fan doesn't run.
Wheni first got there i followed fault finding chart, it said 240v at live to earth? - yes, then change fan!!

look we know more than you and more than manufacturers flow charts go and do wot we tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back