Shaver Socket - OK to connect to 5 amp light supply ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put a flourescent shaver light and socket in our bathroom. The only way I can see of getting any power to it is off the existing 5 amp lighting circuit junction box.

Is that OK, or will it need a 13 amp supply ? (In which case I will valiantly give up and call an electrician)

Sponsored Links
Shaver sockets can be taken from the lighting supply (it's one of the reasons why they all say quite clearly Shavers Only - as if you plugged anything else in it might draw too much and trip the circuit).

Note however that any electrical work in a bathroom is covered by Part P, so you either need a Part P approved spark to do the work, or to notify your local council building control department - see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law for details...

a few more points:

-Im pretty sure for a bathroom you must use a shaver socket with an isolation transformer built in.

-all new wiring within bathrooms must be RCD protected

-all circuits CPCs and metel parts (pipes) that come in from outside the zone must be bonded unless all bathroom circuits are RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
Ah. Sounds like I'd better get an electrician to do it after all.

Thanks for the advice, as ever. This is a very useful and friendly site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back