Extending a cable in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lower a power socket by about a couple of feet. It was original sited over a worktop in a kitchen, but the house has been revamped so that this is now in a living area and I'd like to lower it to be in keeping with other living areas. What is the best way of attaching the extra length of cable required so that the join can be plastered over? Or do I need to strip it back and replace the whole section which is buried under the plaster?

Sponsored Links
In descending order of preference:

1) Replace the cable so that no joins are needed.

2) Extend the cable using crimps and heatshrink sleeving.

3) Extend the cable using a JB. This can't be buried though.

Also, does the cable currently run vertically down the wall to the socket, and are you moving it downwards only? You must not end up with the cable not directly in line, (horizontally or vertically), with the socket.

The cable will run vertically downward. Crimping looks the best option - thanks

One of these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK - I only have the cheaper version of crimper and only need to lower this one socket. So rather than get or hire the professional crimper I'll replace the whole cable in the wall and have a junction box in the floor space above.

It'll be accessible via the floor board I'll have to lift to gain access to the floor space

Hi, I have this exact requirement. I notice the posts here are a few years old. Do the same answers still apply or have the regs changed since? I want to move the socket down and keep in line vertically with the old one and I cannot access from above due to a very tidy laminate floor job on the floor above.
Advice appreciated.

You are now permitted to use maintenance free junction boxes which are inaccessible.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have an example that would be suitable for my scenario? There seem to be many different ones on the market

You are now permitted to use maintenance free junction boxes which are inaccessible.
Maybe it's just me, but it feels to me as if 'there is inaccessible and inaccessible'. If it's a 'solid' wall we're talking about, the JB would presumably have to be 'plastered in'. Would you be comfortable with that, even if it were a 'maintenance free' JB? - I'm not at all sure that I would!

Kind Regards, John

I certainly wouldn't. If it were my job and replacing the cable was not practicable, then crimps and heat shrink would be the only way for me.

I certainly wouldn't. If it were my job and replacing the cable was not practicable, then crimps and heat shrink would be the only way for me.
Glad it's not just me! Plastering in a JB, 'MF' or otherwise, just sounds/feels totally wrong to me!

Kind Regards, John

The implication of the regulations is that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with using a junction box which can never be accessed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back