Creating a damped proof/insulated area in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large double garage of new build construction. The walls are a single brick thick with block pillars.

I'd like to use part of the garage as a storage area for some of my junk from the house. However the junk in question is reasonably valuable being my model car collection. This could seriously deteriorate if stored somewhere damp.

I do not want to do a habitable conversion. I just want to create a damp proof box in effect of about 4mx4m within the garage.

I'm looking for ideas about the easiest/cheapest way of going about this. I'm thinking about lining the floor/walls with dpm sheet, building a suspended floor, fitting a header plate to roof timbers and sole plate to floor, installing metal partitioning between the plates (I prefer working with this to timber), fitting insulation material then drylining.

But this does feel a bit over the top. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably get away with plastic boxes with lids. The really useful boxes that they sell in Staples etc are great for this kind of purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back