How do you replace an outdoor security light BULB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My security light bulb popped this morning as i was leaving the house in the dark.
Can anyone tell me what the replacement bulb is and is it easy to fit? I've seen i have to shut down the electricity but should i know anything else? The light looks the typical bog-standard security light. Is it a case of removing the casing to get to the bulb? Ive got one spare hallogen in the house (20 or 40w i think), will this do?

Many thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
It should just be a case of undoing the screw on the front of the casing, and replacing the halogen "bulb" 20 or 40w ? They are often 250 or even 500w I presume you mean one of these?

isolate the light before working on it, remember to not touch the glass of the halogen lamp. Finally be careful to ensure the rubber gasket on the lamp casing is seated correctly when you reassemble.

Mike,

Have a look at the fitting and see what screws need to be undone to remove halogen bulb. Replace halogen bulb with one of the same power rating (without touching glass envelope) and do the screws up again. Have a cup of tea to celebrate your monumental achievement.

If it is a cheapo halogen unit then they make the screw heads out of a metal as hard as plasticine so when you try to undo them the slots round off :LOL:

Sponsored Links
thaks for all respones guys. I'll get the duff bulb off after work today and see what the replacement is, beofre replacing it tomorrow (not enough daylight hours up here in Scotland right now!)
(Thanks for the tip on not touching the Hallogen glass)

will report back

Mike

Replaceing these bulbs can be a devil, as you have to push the bulb back hard into one of the holders to release the other side. They can be very stiff with corrosion and gunge. I've broken a new bulb before trying to fit these things.

sometimes its easier to throw it away and buy a new one

If it is a cheapo halogen unit then they make the screw heads out of a metal as hard as plasticine so when you try to undo them the slots round off :LOL:

thats so true

blast! the screw head is rusted and has buggered up when i went to unscrew it. now no head left on the screw! (and i took my time) Only the one small screw holding the unit together, i may try and get the screw out by other means. Failing that, i'll just buy a new light unit as they're cheap enough these days.

:cry:

Penetrating oil would have been your friend.

The way I look it is this - what's the cost of a new light less a replacement lamp, as it will come with one?

Say it's £X.

If someone asked you to f*rt around to try and get the light open, and offered you £X for your trouble, would you do it, or would you decline their generous offer?

Penetrating oil would have been your friend.

The way I look it is this - what's the cost of a new light less a replacement lamp, as it will come with one?

Say it's £X.

If someone asked you to f*rt around to try and get the light open, and offered you £X for your trouble, would you do it, or would you decline their generous offer?

i see what your saying. Ive got the unit in the house now, i may try and get the old screw out and repalce the bulb, but im not gonna spend ages tryin to fix it.

Out of interest, generally how much are new hallogen bulbs for these security lights? Its the long thin type.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back