sierra clutch play

• Thread starter masterbuilder
  • Start date
M

masterbuilder

I have just changed the cable on it and the clutch still bites just as you release the pedal from the floor. It gets harder to change gear when it's warmed up especially engaging reverse.
Could it be the pedal mechanism that's worn out or the clutch itself.
Be grateful for any advice :oops:

Sponsored Links
As I recall (although I might have got this wrong) there's a ratchet mechanism on the clutch pedal that takes up adjustment in the cable. You might not have put the new one on quite right (excuse the english).

I had an old Sierra which, for some reason, went through a clutch cable every six months or so just before I got rid of it. The last time the cable went it took the pedal mechanism with it as well. All I remember was that it was a complete bas***d to change as you had to do a contortionists act getting the cable over the rachet mechanism on the pedal.

I had the same problem with my old seirra and I changed the clutch mechanism and it was perfect afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very similar to the Fiesta. I had to change the cable on my girlfriends car. There were still problems and I found that the self-adjusting mechanism needed replacement, and as has been said, i'd have earnt money on the stage as the positions I had to get into were quite ridiculous, most successful laid on my back with my feet on the toolbox. Changing that mechanism made all the difference.
Had a similar fault develop on a Transit, again solved by replacing the adjustment mechanism.

My girlfriend now has a Proton, and she had a new clutch cable fitted a couple of weeks ago. she asked me to check it out as it was biting immediately, or even creeping forward when gear was engaged. I found that the cable adjustment had not been set and once I had wound it all tight, it worked perfectly well.

Back