Can water leaks damage foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I noticed a hissing sound downstairs under the hallway so i ripped up the floorboards and found that a water pipe was leaking and there was approx 3 inches of water which had settled.
The water was turned off and the leak repaired the next day and all the water had dissapeared but the ground was still very wet. As far as i can tell the water had been leaking for 2 weeks.
The question is what happens to all the water and is there any adverse effect on the foundations/building ?

Sponsored Links
some of the water will have evaporated, some will have drained away and some may find its way into the sub-soil. either way i don't think it will have any effect upon the foundations.

most subsoils rely on a certain amount of water present for stability.

the worst that could happen is you may end up with mould and a damp smell.

had there been a burst pipe underground however....... :eek: :LOL:

water leaks can damage foundations, but your little one, for a couple of weeks, is no big deal

I had a tiny leak from the water main in a concrete floor, on a raft foundation, on clay, luckily it dispersed in the concrete and did not make a hole.

However I know someone whose bathroom drain was not connected to the sewer, after 30 years the front of her house subsided and it cost a fortune to rebuild.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back