metabo core drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a metabo core drill, and wanted to know what it is like to use, anyone know what they are like.

Sponsored Links
i have used it and it seems ok , it has a mechanical clutch watever that means,

i wanted to know in particular how it differs to a makita which is supposed to be one of the best,

It all depends on which model you have bought etc.

My Makita is a 6300LR core drill and is excellent but the makitas that are supplied to us by work are lower powered and nowhere near as good.

I have to say it would have been more prudent to ask before buying it but I have always found Metabo tools to be good workhorses.

Mike

Sponsored Links
They all have a mechanical clutch. If not your wrists are the clutch, wall 1 wrists nill 6 months off work. Trust me I've been there when my Makita clutch stuck instead of slipped. had a new clutch and housing fitted and 6 months later it did it again.

The moral of the story is all core drills are expendable. Never use one after it has stuck, not even once. Usually they slip over zelously than stick. The stickers are the dangerous ones.

You'll probably be fine with a Metabo I think that is what my best trainee bought 3 years ago when he set up on his own. It seems to do as good a job as the Makitas.

The cheap red coloured one is it Perlees? dumb centre were knocking out and you can get even cheaper on ebay lasts about a fortnight, and doesn't have enough power anyway.

I've used Hilti ever since that double Makita incident. Now I'm not dissing Makita it is a very rare occurance.

The biggest cost of the hilti is their cores. You can buy an adapetr to use other cores though. I have a bit of both. The Hilti is unmatched. You know it will never break your wrists.

As for cores, the whole world is geting it wrong. They manufacture slots in the side, and the numpties who use them think you need the slots. These slots work agaisnt you, they allow debris to get stuck and snag the drill. What you have to find is cores without slots like the Hilti own cores and the individual ones for sale in dumb centre.

To get the core out you just invert and tap with a hammer, out drops dust then out plops core. If that didn't work one time (it has always worked for me) you could remove the core from the drill and rod it.

i have had other metabo products and they just go on and on hopefully this will give me good service life of at least 4/5yrs ,

and i like to think its one of the top brands out thre ,

but well see eh

i,ll let you know in a year or so what i truly think of it :D

good info. you gave there paul about the sticking clutch i,ll bear that in mind , i also worry about wrist swivel ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back