One Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Have just moved into a house to find that one of the radiators will not heat up at all. Have tried bleading the radiator, both trv and valve on other side are fully open, also tried turning heating on and turning all other radiators off. Still no heat to the one, its an upstairs radiator if that helps. Also the pipes leading to the trv are also cold. Any ideas? :confused:

Sponsored Links
TRV might be stuck.
take off the head and check the pin moves up and down. If stuck try tapping it.

Sorted yep the pin definitely was stuck, another job fixed with the subtlety of a claw hammer ;), cheers both.

Sponsored Links
I`m sure 90% of the problems on these forums could be fixed if people just used a big enough hammer :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't understand the following posted comment. Can someone please explain? Thanks much:
"TRV might be stuck. take off the head and check the pin moves up and down. If stuck try tapping it."
What specifically are: "TRV"? the "head" and the "Pin"?
Thank you.

thermostatic radiator valve
head is the bit that opens closes the valve depending on the air temp
the pin is the bit that joins the above two together
ie sensing head pin valve :)

WOW. That was fast!! Thanks for the quick reply to my question!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Thats right I've got one cold radiator, well my girlfriend has in one of her rooms.

Its in the basement the supply and return pipe come down from the ceiling and one of the pipes is hot and gradually cooler all the way to the inlet valve where it is a little bit warm. The inlet & outlet valves seem to open and close freely when tried but the radiator stays cold. Have done the bleed but didn't have a hammer or spanner handy so didn't do anything else.

Any help much appreciated - would prefer a non radiator removal or loud banging solution as the landlady is a bit on the nosey side. The radiator has plain valves which are probably from the 70's. :)

Regards,

Mark.

[quote="markie7 one of the pipes is hot and gradually cooler all the way to the inlet valve where it is a little bit warm.[/quote]

Suspect a blockage. :(

TRV might be stuck.
take off the head and check the pin moves up and down. If stuck try tapping it.

thermostatic_valve.jpg

taking this off and hitting the small brass pin helped me gain 2 radiators back without an expensive call out charge!!!! THANKS

can u get to all the other rads that r working to turn them off to see if that one will circulate at all when its the only thing on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back