Where to put the acrows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are removiing 3/4 of the wall between the kitchen and the dining room in our chalet bungalow. Above the wall are 2 roof supports. We have our SE report which has been submitted for BREgs.
OH is concerned as to where to put the acrows. Do we need to put one under each roof beam ? My thought is that if we put one next to the abutting wall and one near the other end with a scffold board held across the distance, then that should suffice. The beam is 3m to reat on a ninety degree 150cm wal and along the remaining 0.6m of wall by 150cm.
We have the beam and padstones.
As you can see, I am the bull at a gate and OH is supremely sensible and conscientious. It has worked for us for 35 years now so open to 'helpful' comments!

theOH

Sponsored Links
the acros will be located so that they take up the load of whatever the wall is supporting.

i am seeing a wall that carries on past the ceiling and up to a pair of purlins maybe?

if so then it is one acro per purlin. all the wall will be removed, the steel installed then re-build a small triangle of masonry back up to each purlin.

make sure you don't have the acros too close as you need room to work.

if none of the above makes any sense then i'm reading the job wrong or you need to post a piccie. :LOL:

The bungalow is actually a dormer. The wall does not go above the ceiling. The wooden beams (if they are purlins) rest across the top of the wall at right angles...the property was a self-build in 1936 and is not of standard build although definitely solid build! There are 2 of them.
The UB will sit under them.
I envisage a scaffold board running under them at ceiling height, with an acrow reasonably near the ends say 50cms.
I hope that is clearer...I would do a picture but only so much technology this silver surfer can manage!

Su

use your scaff boards to protect the ceilings but if there are only two beams sitting on the wall then place your acrows underneath them, check that they are continuous to the other side of the wall and that they are not meeting over the wall and support on the other side if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the help. :) Now I need to ask for a bit more!
Acrows in, BCO been, top 3 rows of bricks removed and at padstone and rsj stage.
What are the steps for fitting the padstones and RSJ? Rhe BCO wants minimum space for the 'shims' (getting a bit sophisticated here!).
So do we (ie OH) bed padstones in mortar and then place RSJ on top? If so there does not seem there will be any room to manoeuvre the RSJ in!
Or do we (ie OH) put RSJ across and the push padstones in?
Given the ceiling is 1" (approx) lower than the joists revealed, the RSJ will need to go up in that gap first!
The BCO mentiojned steel spreaders as an alternative to padstones. Is it better to get those even though we have the padstones?

:rolleyes: the OH

put the beam in then acro the beam up tight.

you are then free to do what you like regards padstones beneath the beam.

so it goes; beam, acros, padstones.

once the mortar has set (24hrs) the beam supporting acros can be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back