Internal Garage Wall

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having an extension built at the side of the house and the plans show that the wall between the garage and kitchen is a 300mm cavity wall, built with 100mm dense block.

I need as much space in the garage as possible, so is there anyway that the width of the wall can be reduced by using insulated plasterboard?

The boiler will also be attached to this wall in the garage, so I think that I'll have to have it built in block work rather than timber stud wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
we have built walls separating habitable from garage in the recent past, using 100mm stud walls.

these were than solid filled with 100mm celotex insulation plus a 25mm celotex insulation board across the uprights prior to boarding.

the garage side was boarded with 12.5mm fireline boards and the inner with 12.5mm foil backed boards.

whether your bco agrees or not is another matter. this method was a suggestion from our bco by the way.

Sponsored Links
The only criteria for this separating wall are that it meets the thermal performance of an exterior wall, it meets the required acoustic performance and is fire resistant.

So yes you can use a timber stud, with celotex and normal 12.5mm plasterboard and skim. This will be about 130mm thick.

If the BCO is fussy, he may want it thicker to allow for any socket or switch boxes

Thanks for your replies.

Just to confirm, the boiler will be on this wall so don't think a timber stud wall will take the weight.

Therefore, I think that it will have to be built in block work. Could I just use a thicker insulated plasterboard on the kitchen wall and the 12.5mm fireline boards on the garage side?

There is no reason why a stud wall wont hold a boiler

There are timber framed houses, you know :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back