Blades for cutting Laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently saw a reference to 'down cutting' jigsaw blades ( blades with the teeth pointing down ) and thought that this would be a useful tool for cutting laminate floor boards.

Has anyone used these for this purpose and if so are they readily available and from where.

Any tips for getting a good straight cut would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ugh! said:
Has anyone used these for this purpose and if so are they readily available and from where.
Yes, they are very good and most diy superstore or tools shop will have them. What I will say you must put more pressure on the jig-saw to prevent kick back and don't let go of the jig-saw until the blade stopped.
Any tips for getting a good straight cut would be appreciated.
A thin batten with cramp on each end and make sure you let the blade do the cutting without forcing it otherwise blade will bend slightly outward.

Hi

Other option is to turn the board upside down ;))) Then you can use any normal good jigsaw. One of the better one is the new Bosh Pro (£ 155,00). Has a nice feature that blocks the sawblade from jiggeling and can cut very fine corners.

Regards

Email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I already have a jig saw so I think I will give the down cutting blades a try.

Sponsored Links
Essentialy it shouldn't matter about a perfect cut on laminate beccause any cut edge will be covered by the skirting, architrave or any beading you may use.

personaly i use 101d or b blades like y l k says i cut underneath
if you use a down cut blade its more difficult to cut on your knee or the stair or where ever else you can normaly lightly rest the boards to cut them
can i suggest that you change your blades quite often about every 10m of cuts
i only cut on the top when the cut is so complicated my bwain cant mannage :LOL: :cry: ;)

Just so I get this right. If using a normal jigsaw blade I should cut with the laminate side down and the base side up? What is the ebst type of joigsaw blade to use?
Cheers
Marcus

Yes, you've got it right. Saw upside down when using a standard jigsaw.
The best blades are the finer ones because they hardly damage the finish (top) layer of the melamine laminated boards and don't hurry the job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back