Shrinkage/swelling of old pine floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just a quick query

I am going to sand one of the floors in my house which is Victorian pine (the house was built in 1897)

There are some pretty large gaps (5-8mm) between the boards and as it is the kitchen area, I really need them filled.

I am considering putting slithers between the boards to seasl the gaps.

My question is, to what extent are these boards still subject to shrinkage and do the slithers sound like a good idea?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
shrinkage is controled soley by the moisture content not the age

if you taper your slithers[3 mm over the 20mm width] and knock them in till firm you should be ok thats assuming the floor has not been wet for over 2 months and the room has been heated daily for the same time

Thanks for that Big All.

There is a company that will provide tapered slithers for £45 for 100 metres which is probably cheaper than buying the brads were I to take it up and refix the boards.

Is there not a chance that over the different seasons the boards will try and force the slivers out?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Big All.

There is a company that will provide tapered slithers for £45 for 100 metres which is probably cheaper than buying the brads were I to take it up and refix the boards.

Is there not a chance that over the different seasons the boards will try and force the slivers out?

cannot be forced out as gravity holds them in place

just make shure they are a firm fit and glued in ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back