Enlarging Garage Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved to a property with a brick fronted block built double garage.

The height inside is ample for larger vehicles (like my landrover) but the doors are standard 6ft6 by 7 up and over canopy doors.

I am thinking to replace them with 8x8 roller doors.

Fitting the doors does not look too hard, but I know nothing about brickwork etc.

How hard is it to increase the height of the door aperture. I am happy with the width once the existing frame is gone, and I believe I can have the new doors overlap slightly.

There is what looks like a flat galvanised steel plate as a lintel above each door at present.

Many thanks

MW

Sponsored Links
take down brickwork (and maybe roof unless you can find a way to prop it ) above lintel, install lintel at increased height, rebuild brickwork (and roof) above new lintel.

a lot of work.

Sponsored Links
There's quite a bit of info missing, but if the inner face of the door wall is flat then you can fit the roller doors on the back of the wall, giving max width. You can also fit them as high as you have space available, giving more headroom. Rollers are made to measure, so no probs (as long as you measure accurately).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back