Smoking Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my CH (Glowworm Fuelsaver Mk2) has started to get louder and louder when firing up. The pump (I have no idea what type)has been running on setting number 3 and has also been making vibrating noises. I tried switching it to setting number 2 and it made even more noise.

Since my foolish attempts to clear the air there seems to be even more air in the system... typical :)
I have tried bleeding air from a pipe (I think it runs to the boiler and has an extension with a little screw cap)but this doesn't seem to do anything.

I can't tell if the pump is functioning properly (it either vibrates loudly, makes no noise or smokes)

The boiler won't fire up properly and when it does water comes out of the vent pipe back into the cisten. (Presumably because there is air trapped). The cisten also seems to fill with water when the boiler is on.

Any suggestions what I could do.

Someone has told me that blocking the vent pipe and forcing the water / air through the pump may help clear the trapped air. If the pump wasn't working correctly will this cause problems?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
search this forum for "bleeding a pump" and "check a pump is working"

I had another look at the pump last night (its a SMC Comet 2-130). I'm going to change it (Smoking does kill) for a Westco (£26) are they any good?

To remove the trapped air would you recommend blocking the vent pipe and forcing the air through the pump?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back