What filter for my oil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We ran out of oil yesterday. My own fault, I checked the gauge on the tank a couple of weeks ago but what I thought was the level was just a tide-mark on the level gauge. Not a problem for one night and our usual supplier managed to fit us in with a delivery today.
Cut long story short, got home from work, Boiler lockout would not reset. (Worcester Bosch Greenstar Heatslave 18/25) Removed flexi pipe from pump and nothing. Shut tank valve off and examined gauze filter which was fairly well bunged up. Cleaned it but still no oil flow to boiler. Disconnected outlet from fire valve (just outside from boiler) and found oil getting that far. Blew down line from boiler to fire valve (I'm still tasting kerosene) and cleared blockage. Ran off about 2 pints of oil before I could call it clean, reconnected and the house is now warm again.
I took a picture of my tank outlet:
View media item 8810The metal tank is staying (for the time being) but can anyone suggest an upgrade to the gauze filter. I've been looking at other peoples tanks and some have big glass globes. Are they filters or just water traps? Or should I have a water trap as well as a filter?

Sponsored Links
There are quite a variety of filters available, ranging from the Atkinson tankmaster - which has a cleanable gauze filter with a water trap bowl beneath, to the paper element types made by firms such as Crossland which also allow any water to collect in the bottom. Its best to visit an oil boiler parts shop, explain what you need, and they should be able to fix you up and sort out the correct connections for your pipeline size. The smaller Crossland ones pass around 5 galls/hour and this is quite enough. Check out the Wolsley parts centre group, or maybe heating-parts.co.uk. Cheers John

Thanks Burnerman, I've used BES in the past. I had a quick look there but there were too many options.
I was hoping someone could say "you need this.."
I'm off to check out your links..

Sponsored Links
Keep the steel tank if you can deal with the rust on the outside. If not replace it with steel, not plastic.

For filters the Crosland ones are good, though a pain to change elements sometimes. It's getting the seals to work afterwards.

Look at http://www.pslaterfie.co.uk/misc.html 6th and 7th on the list. The CAV/Delphi filter is the best with integral water trap. They are expensive at £28 ish, but if it was my installation I'd remove the gause you have, and fit the CAV unit.

You also need to do something with the top of your sight tube. I bet water and earwigs get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back