Why is there fungus on my new ply roof (pics included)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have'nt finished my roof yet as I still have to put the insulation and plasterboard up but this morning I just noticed some fungus or mold or something. I am not sure what it is but it doesnt look good.

I am building a gym so I dont think this would be good if i breathe it in.

I can't get the builders to redo the top as it already as 2 layers of torch on felt. (see pic) But is there anything I can do to fix this such as paint or some treatment?

I dont think rain is getting in but could it be due to the parafin blow torch being on to heat the gym whilst working?

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
for every pint off parafin you burn you get a pint off water into the air

just wipe the mould off with weak bleach solution

Will this come back? Are you sure its not damaged?

Also, I was thinking about getting parafin heaters when my gym is complete (as ive been told its cheaper than electric) but i am thinking this is a bad idea!!!

Sponsored Links
if you are going to use parafin
buy a dehumidifier as the damp will keep coming back

are you not putting a ceiling in?

I am going to put space blankets in and then plasterboard for the ceiling. If i clean the mold will this problem get worse if I dont treat or paint the shuttering ply first and just seal it in?

Cheers,

Tony

The mould is cause by moist air hitting the cold roof deck - condensation.

You will get condensation whatever heating you use

Remove the cold surface, and you remove the possibility of condensation forming on it and subsequent mould .

So if i insulalate and put up plaster board it should be warmer and so i shouldnt get condensation?

Also, should i clean the mold and paint it with something first to protect the shuttering ply?

wipe the mould off, insulate,fit a vapour control barrier and plasterboard over.
the mould will not return!.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me if the above advise is still valid. My problem is getting worse and i feel if i just wipe it that it will still be there. See pics below of it getting worse.

Cheers,

Tony

- - - -

Have you been using the parafin heater again?

the above points are all still valid........removing the cold surface removes the condensation!.

No,

I the parafin heater hasnt been used since but the door has been shut and there was condensation in there even after a whole week or so of not been in there.

So putting in insulation does this remove the cold surface?

The mould is cause by moist air hitting the cold roof deck - condensation.

You will get condensation whatever heating you use

Remove the cold surface, and you remove the possibility of condensation forming on it and subsequent mould .

courtesy of woody. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back